24 June 2014

DaySprings Residential Treatment Centre & Transitional Home

A commissioned piece I did on location today for DaySpring Residential Treatment Centre and Transitional Home — a home for abused young girls. This is their new government-sponsored premise along Turf Club Road. It's a restored pre-war real estate with luscious greens all around. Delightful. 

When the director of this home, who is a personal friend, approached me to paint this (initially meant to be their logo, but later they designed something else for that), I agreed in a heartbeat, 'cos I really believe in what they do; I knew abuse myself growing up. 

It was after I'd agreed on this job that I found out that President Tony Tan would grace the official launch on July 4, and the original painting would be presented to him as a gift from the home, and is expected to be displayed at the Istana (Singapore's White House). Cream on the cake. Haha. (Too bad I would not be able to attend the launch, as that is the day I leave for Sketching Georgetown 2014.)

I took a tour (with my family in tow) of the place after sketching this today, and was blown away by how well run the home is, and heartened by the fact that these precious ones are so well taken care of. I even spoke with one bright 15-year-old gal who is well on the way to recovery. 

What a privilege.

Here's their website: http://www.dayspring.org.sg

"Rough diamonds may sometimes be mistaken for worthless pebbles." - Sir Thomas Browne



Pat Ng

No comments:

Post a Comment